Preview: Easy ways to lift your mood
BEING IN CONTROL
The aim of this book is to put YOU in control of your moods. If you find what works for you from this book and you give yourself a programme, and it makes you feel even marginally better than you did, then you are beginning to gain control. You will realise that medication and outside events are not controlling you. To make life better for yourself, you will now know what techniques to use and you will start to regain control of your life.
Some of the benefits:
● You will gain confidence.
● Not fear relapses because you will have a programme.
● Spot early signs of depression or low mood and be able to take immediate action.
● Seek professional help/advice earlier.
● Know when to take time out to recover.
● Interrupt the downward spiral.
● Cope more efficiently with everyday life.
● Reduce fear and anxiety.
Before we commence the exercises, let us take a brief look at what happiness is and is not.
● You need to discover for yourself what makes you happy.
● It is often not what you think it is.
● Happiness comes from within; research has shown that only about 10% of what happens externally affects our happiness.
● We think external events affect our happiness more than it does. I remember a gentleman in a class I was teaching of men who had suffered strokes. Despite his illness this man had something from within that shone through his illness and influenced us all.
● We can’t be happy all the time.
● Happiness is a feeling of contentment and peace of mind.