Northwood Community Arts

Northwood, St John's, History

Buy b/w ; colour

In 1914, St John’s Presbyterian Church, Northwood, Middlesex, UK offered its building to the War Office to serve as a hospital for convalescents. Capturing the information gathered through a community project led by Northwood Community Arts and funded by Heritage Lottery, the book – available in colour or black and white – tells the story of the hospital and those known to be associated with it – nurses, doctors, patients and others in the local community. As far as is known, this is the only church in England which was used as a hospital.

A donation from each purchase goes towards St John Ambulance which provided the nursing staff for the hospital.